Reporting to the General Manager and the Minneapolis management team, the Plant Manager is expected to provide leadership for all aspects of a 7x24 utility steam plant operation, in Minneapolis, in addition to an extensive network of underground steam, hot water, and chilled water. Key areas of oversight include safety, operational reliability and efficiency; maintenance & repair; environmental compliance; capital and expense budgeting and management; oversight of plant capital projects; record keeping and administration; personnel management, training and development and ensuring compliance with Corporate policies and regulatory agency requirements.
Responsibilities & Key Results
- Overall responsibility for safe, reliable, and sustainable operation of assigned district energy facilities on a 24/7/365 basis
- Overall responsibility for leading all aspects of safety in operations pertaining to employees, contractors and visitors including LOTO, fall protection, confined space entry, and electrical safety programs
- Overall responsibility for plant operations including equipment condition, maintenance, repair, operation, replacement, and modification
- Overall responsibility to attain and maintain plant in full physical and administrative compliance with all applicable environmental regulations including air quality, hazardous material disposal and storage, waste-water discharge, underground storage tanks, employee training, and miscellaneous periodic inspections & certifications
- Overall responsibility for financial management of plant operations including development and management of both expense and capital budgets
- Consistently communicate corporate culture and values to all employees and manage all aspects of labor and employee relations
- Implement regular and preventive maintenance program for all plant's equipment.
- Maximize Staff utilization, create efficiency
- Plant Manager will be a leader in employee training for safety, environmental, and personnel development to produce a workforce that is motivated, flexible, and technically astute and in a manner consistent with corporate culture and values
- Develop and manage tracking and reporting tools to evaluate personnel and equipment performance trends and identify paths for improvement for each
- Plan, execute, and lead special projects as assigned by General Manager
- Overall responsibility to identify and implement opportunities for safety, reliability, and efficiency improvements
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, vendors, and government and regulatory officials
Knowledge & Skills
- Should be generally versed in the design, operation and maintenance of boiler plant systems such as boilers and related control systems, water treatment & systems, chemical treatment systems, instrumentation and metering devices, pumps and turbines, air systems, etc.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook and familiarity with PowerPoint.
- Experience and competency with SAP or similar enterprise financial and procurement system(s).
- Excellent quantitative skills
- Ability to learn quickly and work under pressure and multitask
- Proven planning and organizational skills
- High tolerance for stress; ability to adapt to changing requirements and quickly bring assignments to completion
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement and objective reasoning and to identify problems and solutions without constant guidance
- Uses discretion concerning confidential and sensitive company information
- Displays good judgement, willingness to take responsibility and initiative to make decisions within scope of responsibility
- Team player able to work cross functionally and at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with all individuals
- 4-year degree in any field (engineering preferred) with (10) years of experience working in District Energy, power, oil & gas, military, or similar industries.
- Candidate should have at least 5 years of leadership experience with demonstrated strong analytic and presentation skills. Strong written and verbal skills are required in managing a diverse cultural workforce.